Sunday, December 2, 2012

Amman - special city

I took a walk to the mall - Taj Mall.  Tis quite a big mall with H&M, Monsoon and even Marks and Spencers (which will open shortly - inshallah).  It was a beautiful winters day, although, it wasn't really like winter.  It was warm and sunny, with a little chill in the air.  More like a summer's day in Wellington.


As I wandered through the streets of Amman, I stumbled across a Second Cup!  Where am I again?  A Second Cup, in Amman?  That's a Canadian coffee shop, right?  Yes, a Second Cup - how cool is that!


 I also walked past the American Embassy.  I was just about to take out my camera to take pictures when I was confronted with a massive sign reading NO PHOTOS!  Oh well.  I was thinking of ways that I could be sneaky and stealth like, but realised that no matter how sneaky or stealth like I could be, it wasn't worth messing around with the American Embassy folk, especially as they had the big guns and I only had a snappy, happy, clicky fujifilm  -they had the upper hand.

Now, I had no idea where the mall was.  I only knew it was in the direction of the Embassy, so I kindly asked one of those guys with the big guns.  He kindly directed to the mall and wished me well.  I wish I could have taken a photo of him because he was so sweet and kind -  like a happy granddad with bad, yellowing teeth!

Further along my journey, I saw some interesting sights that started me thinking how Amman is a special little city.  It was lunch time so the call of prayer came on, cars zoomed by and I could hear the shouts of men in the distant.  They could have been farmers because there was a cow and some goats in an open plot of dry, rocky, littered land.  I saw also saw the mall and right next to the mall where these apartments that looked very run down.  I couldn't help but think, 'how do all the features co-exist'? There were the farmers, the animals, the cars, the mall, the apartments and the faith all in one pocket.  I thought it was amazing.

this was right by a main road - a cow, by the main road??  Never seen that before!

Another cow - I've just noticed the one on  the left :-)


Going out for random walks with the camera is a lot of fun.  I can imagine that if I did it regularly, I'd find some interesting things to write home about.  I did see this car.......


If I could drive, I'd drive this, paint it purple and paint a massive white daisy on the bonnet :-)

The Mall - Taj Mall a boring place with lots of shops.  I wondered around it for an hour and didn't buy anything apart from lunch.  It has some shops in it, like H&M, but after what happened in Bangladesh, I refuse to buy anything from H&M, GAP or Walmart ever again!  Which is a real bummer cause I liked H&M and GAP!  Because they were cheap!
(http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/30/news/companies/walmart-bangladesh-factory-fire/index.html)







My lunch - shredded egg, some minty dip, tomatoes and pine nuts, grilled haloumi cheese (best I've had ever!), olives and a selection of breads!  Delicious!!!




7 comments:

  1. Dear Robert,

    Seriously, i love reading your blog. It's make me smile and laugh and the best to know more about Amman, Jordan since i will be working there soon and i know nothing about that country.

    Hope to share more info from you.

    Regards,
    Aida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aida,

    Thanks for reading our blog. We are happy to share about Amman. Before we moved here, we read lots of people's blogs. It's a great way to get familiar with a place. We'll do our best to keep you up to date with stuff in Amman.

    Thanks,

    Michelle and Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Michelle & Robert,

    It's really good to hear from both of you. If you don't mind, appreciate you to send me a private email to me since i also have kids. And since you're a teacher need info on the education which Amman would have for them.

    Regards,
    Aida
    aidasayang@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog, I found it by chance while googling taipei restaurant!! I live in Amman as well. but you have such a positive view of it while I see the negative side hahaha! probably coz I've been living here for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your lovely compliment and for reading our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete